The Science of Ketosis For the not-so-beginner
Why are people “going keto”?
- Hunger is generally not hunger. A normal carbohydrate dependent person feels what they believe to be hunger each time their blood sugar takes a dip.
- Blood sugar takes a dip. The carb/glucose dependent brain does not have ketones to tap into for energy.
- The brain signals the gut to tell the sleepy low-blood sugar human to quickly find and eat sugar and carbohydrates!
- This “eat carbs, get energy, get low blood sugar, get “hungry”, eat carbs, etc.” cycle is the PERFECT recipe for baking an inflamed, obese, diabetic, unhappy human.
- People choose to “go keto” for a myriad of reasons: for weight loss, for increasing cognitive function, for athletic prowess/flexibility, as a longevity strategy, as a treatment adjunct for dealing with a number of different health conditions including epilepsy, PCOS, inflammatory conditions, and even cancer.
YouTube Makes Learning Quicker
We’re still working on finding, organizing and sharing info in the most digestible way possible, but in the meantime, we made a great YouTube playlist centered on the science of ketosis. Check it out! I’ll often have it playing in the background while hiking or commuting. I learn something new every time I listen.
The below is a fantastic educational journey into the science of ketosis and gives you a taste of the “flavor” of the videos to be found in the above link.